The World Cup and Southern Africa

During the world cup I will be traveling around South Africa. After the tournament is over, I plan to travel over ground about 1800 miles up to Nairobi, where I will fly back to the states from in early August.

In this blog I hope to share my experiences, thoughts, and stories. I am not completely sure why I am here, I hope to know by the time I leave. I will focus on a few topics:
1) How do we develop people? (Education, Values, etc..)
2) Is there any absolute truth? I hope so.
3) Football

This will not be clean and edited, it is my journal. I will write very much in stream of consciousness, most statements I make are questions that I wish answered. Please feel free to add to my inner-dialogue.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010


This was the quietest day of the trip so far. I woke up late, I walked towards town to have breakfast, I decided I would peak at the beach, then I figured the southern tip wasn’t much further. I am staying in a town called Struissbei, the town of Aguhlas is just down the road. On the map it says there is 1km between the two towns. It turns out the walk from where I was to the point is about 8km. My short afternoon stroll turned into an all day walk. I got to Aguhlas in about 90 minutes I think. I was hungry and had a meal. Then walked the last km or so to the point. It is rocky, windy and rough. Many ships have wrecked there. I turned and started to walk back. I stopped at a grocery store and bought a roll, an avocado, and these tiny meat pastry thingys. They were good. I decided I should put the avo on the roll, that was good, but avos are a bit hard to work with without a knife. At least while walking. I got a few kilometers into the walk and a car pulled over and asked me for directions, I showed them the map I had which wasn’t helpful, they asked me a couple questions and offered me a ride. It was nice because I thought the hostel people were taking us out on a boat this evening, so I thought the lift might just get me back in time to catch the boat. But when I got back they said it was too windy. Darn. I chilled for a bit, then walked once more on the beach. I bumped into the deaf man attached to the hostel who invited for a drink. It was nice. That’s about it. I will leave at that for the day, enjoy the fireworks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment