The World Cup and Southern Africa

During the world cup I will be traveling around South Africa. After the tournament is over, I plan to travel over ground about 1800 miles up to Nairobi, where I will fly back to the states from in early August.

In this blog I hope to share my experiences, thoughts, and stories. I am not completely sure why I am here, I hope to know by the time I leave. I will focus on a few topics:
1) How do we develop people? (Education, Values, etc..)
2) Is there any absolute truth? I hope so.
3) Football

This will not be clean and edited, it is my journal. I will write very much in stream of consciousness, most statements I make are questions that I wish answered. Please feel free to add to my inner-dialogue.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Wednesday June 30

I meant to wake up at 6:30 this morning to go to the tsitsikamma park office to figure out what I could do today. I woke up at 10. I hiked on a few trails in the area, resisting the temptation to take a couple of the longer routes to ensure my safe return home before dark. I got really excited about doing this one trail, the otter trail, its sposed to be really beautiful. People reserve their permits 6 months to a year in advance for their five days on the trail. I hitchhiked to the park office, about 10 miles from where I am staying, to ask if there was a way I could hop on. The trail is only about 30 miles, I figure I could do it in two days easy, but it has 4 sleeping huts, you stay at one each night, and they are all filled every night. There is not really any flexibility. It’s probably better, I’m not equipped for camping. If I was able to go, I would have boiled a big pot rice and bought a jar of peanut butter to sustain me for the couple days. My mind is still racing with possibilities, but I think I’ma be easy. I could do the world’s highest bungee jump from a bridge. It’s tempting, but I think I will pass. It could lead to an adrenaline addiction. It feels strange to have no football, it’s probably good for me tho.

When I returned from inquring about the trail, I chilled with these brother who sell their arts in town. They do lots of carvings from different woods, stones and seeds. They paint all types of things as will. The one bro gave me a little shaky instrument made from a seed. I bought another one so I can jam. He tried to teach me how to shake them with the rhythms of the drum. I need more practice. I would have liked to chill with them more, they invited to dinner the tomorrow night, but I am probly headed out. But if they can get to the US, they will have a place to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment